Unless stated otherwise, all poetry on Swimming in Lines of Haiku is Copyright Kirsten Cliff and may not be reprinted in any form without written permission from the author. kirsten(DOT)cliff(AT)gmail(DOT)com

Monday, July 1, 2013

My July Challenge: I Quote, You 'Ku

Welcome to July, dear readers! The month of my birth in which I want to celebrate haikai with you.

Everyone loves a good quote, has a favourite or two, whether they're a writer or not. I am no exception and so have gathered together 31 quotes that have touched me for the month of July to bring you “I Quote, You 'Ku”. 

What you'll need to do to take part: write a haiku or tanka inspired by the daily quote posted on Swimming in Lines of Haiku to form a haibun (or tanka prose). Place it in the comments section, and then enjoy reading other participants 'ku! You can write a new haiku or tanka each day, or feel free to post previously published poems, or a mix of both.

This daily challenge was inspired by Aubrie Cox's I Doodle, You 'Ku, practices in Margaret D. McGee's Haiku - the sacred art (where she writes haiku sparked from bible passages), and Jim Kacian's Haibun Masterclass at the 2012 New Zealand Haiku Conference.

My gift to you: everyone that posts a poem in the comments section as least once will go into the draw to win a copy of A New Resonance 8: Emerging Voices in English Language Haiku (eds. Jim Kacian and Dee Evetts, Red Moon Press 2013). The last day of July is my birthday, but I'll do the draw on August 1st so that the Northern Hemisphere has caught up.

Call it a challenge, call it an experiment, call it a learning exercise, call it a daily writing prompt, call it a community collaboration. Either way I do hope that you'll call it fun!

  • Find I Quote, You 'Ku - Day 1 here and post your 'ku in the comments section there.
  • Find I Quote, You 'Ku - Day 2 here and post your 'ku in the comments section there.
  • Find I Quote, You 'Ku - Day 3 here and post your 'ku in the comments section there. 
  • Find I Quote, You 'Ku - Day 4 here and post your 'ku in the comments section there. 
  • Find I Quote, You 'Ku - Day 5 here and post your 'ku in the comments section there. 
  • Find I Quote, You 'Ku - Day 6 here and post your 'ku in the comments section there. 
  • Find I Quote, You 'Ku - Day 7 here and post your 'ku in the comments section there.


17 comments:

  1. Monday, July 1, 2013: rainbow

    the fox wed
    every raindrop
    a ranbow

    (fox's wedding for rain in sunshine - European)

    Gary Blankenship

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little puzzled as to how to post, hope this was right. Gary

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much, Gary, for being the first to post a 'ku!
      Will put your name in the draw fro ANR8

      Just so we keep things on track, could you please repost this in the comments section of the day one quote: http://kirstencliffwrites.blogspot.co.nz/2013/07/i-quote-you-ku-1.html

      Thanks!

      Delete
  2. girl in the tree-house
    calls down to me through the years
    sometimes I reach up

    Jackson Ahern

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking part, Jackson. I've put your name in the book draw!
      The second quote will be up tomorrow, and you can post right underneath it in the comments. :-)

      Delete
  3. But you have to catch him first!
    Have put your name in the draw. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heisenberg's rainbow
    chaos belies seven lines
    More than meets the eye

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for joining in, Cordy! :-)
      I've also put your name down for the book draw.
      The next quote will be up tomorrow.

      Delete
  5. Great idea, Kirsten! I am going to take part, even though i could be a bit irregular!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, Sanjuktaa! You definitely don't have to do it every day, and can come back to posts anytime. :-)

      Delete
  6. in the Japanese garden
    an arched bridge -
    you on the other side

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice one, Laurice! And great to see you here. :-)
      Have put your name in the draw!

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. it begins to pour. . .
    rainbows run together
    at the PRIDE parade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Thanks for taking part, Terri! :-)
      Will put your name in the book draw.

      Delete
  9. from thin hair / he brushes cobwebs / not there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for joining in, David. :-)
      I've added your name to the book draw!

      Delete