Unless stated otherwise, all poetry on Swimming in Lines of Haiku is Copyright Kirsten Cliff and may not be reprinted in any form without written permission from the author. kirsten(DOT)cliff(AT)gmail(DOT)com

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

I Quote, You 'Ku - Day 31

The taste
    of rain
Why kneel?

~Jack Kerouac 

Something a little different today, on my birthday. Above is my favourite haiku, which I wrote about here. You can either write a haiku response to today's "quote" or, seeing as it is a haiku, you can choose to write the prose portion of the haibun. It's up to you. Have fun! I look forward to reading your responses.

Click here for the first post on how I Quote, You 'Ku works. Every poet who posts a poem this month will be entered into the draw to win a copy of A New Resonance 8.

11 comments:

  1. after church a grackle
    a fruit held in its beak

    ReplyDelete
  2. when dark clouds hover,
    the sky reaches for delight.
    denied, it cries tears

    All my previous entries are here: http://noveljutsu.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
  3. tracking sand
    on my face
    salt tears

    ReplyDelete
  4. That first night last year
    I knelt before my new lord
    and swore fealty

    ReplyDelete
  5. first rain--
    the barren ground
    in colour

    ReplyDelete
  6. birds confused
    thunder lightning hail
    then a rainbow

    ReplyDelete
  7. The taste
    of rain
    – Why kneel?

    ~Jack Kerouac

    the rural years
    cloudburst welcome; grab the soap
    as we run outside

    ReplyDelete
  8. constant rain -
    still the skylark
    sings

    ReplyDelete
  9. after the rain mud pies baking in the sun

    ReplyDelete
  10. July 31: rain

    Heaven opened,
    windows doors rattled,
    we watch the water rise
    on the side of the hill.

    (I've collected the names for rain (and sun) - over 200 with foreign slang, song titles and objects. This is the rewrite of one.)

    Gary B

    ReplyDelete
  11. two months of drought--
    surprise lilies face
    the noon-day sun

    ReplyDelete