Unless stated otherwise, all poetry on Swimming in Lines of Haiku is Copyright Kirsten Cliff and may not be reprinted in any form without written permission from the author. kirsten(DOT)cliff(AT)gmail(DOT)com

Monday, July 8, 2013

I Quote, You 'Ku - Day 8

"That's where writing comes in. It is necessary for the survival of my haughty sanity as bread is to my flesh."

~Sylvia Plath, Journals, September, 1951.

Your challenge is to write a haiku or tanka (or choose one of your previously published works) that has a connection with the themes/feelings/images of the above quote, without just restating what has appeared in the text, to create a haibun. Play around with it and see what you come up with. Enjoy!

Click here for the first post on how I Quote, You 'Ku works. Every poet who posts a poem this month will be entered into the draw to win a copy of A New Resonance 8.

6 comments:

  1. sunrise––
    morning breeze recites
    freshness

    ReplyDelete
  2. keeping away
    the ghosts and pain
    with a pen

    ReplyDelete
  3. My eyes swallow words
    My ears swallow even more
    gorged, I vomit poems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. July 8: bread

    hot fresh from the oven
    melted butter
    fig jam crowns the poem

    Gary Blankenship

    ReplyDelete
  5. A haiku from Sondra J. Byrnes:

    notebook rises and falls—
    if i could breathe
    poems

    Sorry you had trouble posting, Sondra!
    I've added your name to the book draw. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. spring morning
    a coffee cup ring
    frames my poem

    ReplyDelete