Unless stated otherwise, all poetry on Swimming in Lines of Haiku is Copyright Kirsten Cliff and may not be reprinted in any form without written permission from the author. kirsten(DOT)cliff(AT)gmail(DOT)com

Sunday, August 15, 2010

First post back is about haiku, of course!

Hello, hello! It's good to be feeling well enough to start blogging again :)

The world of haiku has been chugging along while I've been in hospital, and the fruits of my labours in late 2009 and early 2010 have now come to fruition. So while I wasn't doing much writing, the past months have seen me receive third place in the Katikati Haiku Contest 2010 (judged by Sandra Simpson), two haiku published in the haikai pages of Bravado 19 (edited by Barbara Strang), and a haiku in, what ended up being, the final issue of moonset. I also saw my first ever tanka published in Valley Micropress (Vol13:Is3) and had my angel photo appear on the following month's VM cover (Vol13:Is4).

I was in between hospital visits when the Katikati Haiku Contest had its prize giving on June 6th so was able to attend and catch up with my fellow lovers of the Japanese poetry forms. The Katikati Haiku Pathway was also celebrating its 10th anniversary that wet and wonderful day and you can read a write up, complete with pics and the winning haiku, here: http://www.poetrysociety.org.nz/node/502 . The Wai Taiko drummers were thrilling once again, but hearing them indoors this time round was a full body experience!

The biggest haiku event, however, to have put a smile on my face since returning to Wordsmith House is my invitation to appear on the Haiku NewZ 'Showcase' of talented haiku writers in NZ. I'm honoured that my name and haiku will sit alongside such great haiku writers, those whose work I have studied, aspired to; some I am lucky enough to have met and call 'friend'. You can see the 'Showcase' here: http://www.poetrysociety.org.nz/node/275 . I have to get organised and choose 10 of my haiku and write a short bio for my inclusion, which should appear online next month. Will keep you updated!

No comments:

Post a Comment