Unless stated otherwise, all poetry on Swimming in Lines of Haiku is Copyright Kirsten Cliff and may not be reprinted in any form without written permission from the author. kirsten(DOT)cliff(AT)gmail(DOT)com

Monday, February 14, 2011

Half-Way Through Haiku-A-Day: A Confession & A Book I Love


I found things difficult to begin with. I definitely wasn't happy with the haiku I was writing during the first week of NaHaiWriMo.

Why?

It was just so un-inspiring.

Having been excited to return to haiku after the rejuvenating effects of the river of stones challenge, my high was dulled quickly as I struggled with a form I've worked (or should that be 'played') with for over four years.

I needed a kick up the butt!

I got it at the beginning of week two in the form of a spontaneous gift from my beloved...

Haiku Mind: 108 Poems to Cultivate Awareness & Open Your Heart by Patricia Donegan.

It was just what I needed: the book as well as the surprise :)

It leads on perfectly from where my small stone writing left off: bringing my awareness to the outside world and then writing about it as a spiritual practice.

Suddenly my haiku has risen to a new level, and this is exciting!

I'm savouring the book: reading one poem and commentary a day as a meditation (or type of prompt) to set me on a path of awareness and appreciation for nature and how I interact with it, and how I might capture those moments in haiku form.

I highly recommend Haiku Mind. You can read more about it here.

4 comments:

  1. Read this one as well about five times..got it out of the library. We need more haiku books...
    I love them

    Cheers janet

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this book! So glad to hear someone else has read and enjoyed it too. I only just discovered it this year. It is definitely the kind of thing that I'd like to write in the future. Cheers, Kirsten x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a lovely present to give myself and other people : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, we must not forget to give gifts to ourselves! Especially those that nurtute our play with creativity and our spirit :)

    ReplyDelete