Unless stated otherwise, all poetry on Swimming in Lines of Haiku is Copyright Kirsten Cliff and may not be reprinted in any form without written permission from the author. kirsten(DOT)cliff(AT)gmail(DOT)com

Friday, October 1, 2010

Haiku Tattoo Anyone?

I imagine that the haiku masters never thought their poems would be inked into someone's skin. I feel it would be an honour: the ultimate contemporary haiga, perhaps? Definitely as good as having your haiku carved into a boulder on the Katikati Haiku Pathway . Both as permanent as permanent can be in this world.

I got onto the topic of haiku as tattoo when my little sister asked if I knew of one around the theme of family that might work with the tattoo she is about to get: seven birds in flight, which symbolise the members of our family. A quick Google search revealed that people were indeed being inked with haiku, in traditional Japanese Calligraphy .

I'm excited that my sibling would think to include a haiku in her first tattoo, and happy that I have brought haiku into the lives of all my family members. I hope they are richer for the experience. I look forward to talking with my sister this weekend about how we can express her thoughts about our family through haiku.

No comments:

Post a Comment